Transportation Trends: Critical Issues in the Trucking Industry
According to the American Transportation Research Institute, below are the top trends in trucking that all in the shipping business should be aware of:
- The driver shortage ranked as the industry’s top concern for the second consecutive year since 2018. Growing demand for truck transportation over the past year has led to a 50,000 driver shortage, however creating a boost for driver pay, benefits, and bonuses over the past year.
- Freight rates have leveled off, with the national van rate averages are at $1.81 per mile, three cents lower than the July average.
- Consumer spending is boosting the U.S economy, having expanded by 2.1% during the second quarter of the year.
- The Hours-of-Service (HOS) rules are changing, was a top-three industry issue for the eighth consecutive year in 2018.
- According to a report from the American Transportation Research Institute, the frequency that drivers have been detained at customer facilities has increased since 2015.